Another rough start to this past week for the Predators. The road trip started off with a shootout loss to the Anaheim Ducks 4-3 and then they followed it up with an OT loss to the Los Angeles Kings 3-2. This looked like another lost week, but all was saved when Nashville beat the San Jose Sharks 3-1. So the week went from a possible 5 game losing streak to getting 4 of a possible 6 points with just one game.
- Pekka Rinne returned to form. With 39 saves against the Ducks and 31 saves against the Kings, Rinne was probably the only reason the team got a point in both games.
- Nashville did not trail at any point of this road trip until the 6:18 mark of the 1st period in the final game against San Jose. They only trailed for 5:52 before tying the game up. That was the only time they trailed. Odd, that is the only game they ended up winning.
- The penalty kill was not good. They gave up 4 goals against Anaheim and Los Angeles, going 0 for 3 against the Kings alone.
- Jusse Saros’ win against the Sharks took his record on the road to 5-3. During those games he has a 1.90 gaa, a .937 save pct. and 1 shutout.
- James Neal’s game winning goal against San Jose was only his 2nd goal in his last 20 games. We need more from the Real Deal.
- Nashville stayed 2nd in the NHL with fighting majors this year (35), with 4 more fights in these 3 games.
- After 10 goals in the 5 previous games, Filip Forsberg has cooled a bit. His shorthanded goal against Anaheim was his only goal in the last 5 games.
- Viktor Arvidsson’s shorthanded goal against the Sharks was the Predators league leading 10th shorty this season.
- The 4pts gained on this road trip help Nashville maintain a slim 2pt lead over the St.Louis Blues.
The Predators start this week off tonight at home against the Winnipeg Jets 7pm CT start time. Then Thursday March 16th they start another quick road trip in Washington against the Capitals at 6pm CT. The road trip finishes up on Saturday March 18th 6pm CT against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Follow me on Twitter at danieljones@dj_puckplanet
Feature image Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images